Here are some tips to get the most out of your experience on Nextdoor for Public Agencies. Keep in mind that nobody knows your community like you do, so keep experimenting to see what resonates with your constituents!
Posting to Maximize Engagement
- Subject Line - Keep it short and sweet . Tell residents what is happening and where.
- Tone - Write in a neighborly tone as if you were speaking to your neighbor. Keep content local and relevant to bring the most value to neighbors. Consider multilingual posts in areas where English is not the primary language (TIP: Mention the languages in the Subject Line so people know to scroll through).
- Sharing - Ask neighbors to share your post to help spread the word via the ‘Repost’ button.
- Comments - When possible, keep comments open as these help drive engagement. Consider starting your post with a question and asking neighbours to comment below. Responding to comments will also help ensure your post remains relevant in the feed.
- Polls - Another great way to engage neighbors is by posting a poll. Polls can be serious or playful depending on what you’re posting, and they are always very popular with neighbors. You can learn more about posting polls as an agency here.
- Target your post - When possible, target your post to a specific neighborhood or Custom Service Area, as neighbors love engaging with hyperlocal content. Learn more about how this works here.
- Frequency - We recommend posting at least 3-4 times per week to your entire jurisdiction, and even more often if you’re making targeted posts to neighborhoods or Custom Service Areas (learn more about targeting here).
- Emergency Alerts - When life or property is in danger, use the Emergency Alert post type and target it to the affected areas. Emergency Alert sends out a push notification on the app, an immediate email, and a text message to members who allow these types of notifications.
- Photos and - Every post should have an image. The maximum file size for photos on Nextdoor is 7 MB. Photos must be in .JPG, .PNG, .GIF, or .TIFF formats. Images in landscape format render best; use a ratio of 16:9 (1376 x 774 pixels).
- Videos - Add videos by including URL links to Vimeo, Youtube, or Facebook videos. You may upload a video no larger than 200 MB. For more information see this help article.
- Be Mobile - Use the Nextdoor for Public Agencies app for Android and iOS devices.
- Metrics - Measure impact with the Content & Engagement report and by downloading poll results.
Looking for more information? Bookmark our training manual for tons of great information on how to post, how to add staff, how to pull metrics, and more!
Detailed Engagement Guides
Over the years we have created several industry-specific guides to help our partners be successful on Nextdoor. Below you’ll find a list of what we’ve created so far. Don’t see your agency type? Let us know at email@example.com.