This article was updated August 20, 2022.
With the month of September comes an end to a season full of sunshine, long days, and being outdoors. The new month brings holidays and events like Labor Day, National Neighbor Day, and the first day of fall. Use this time to run end-of-the-season sales to help clear out your summer inventory and showcase expertise in your field by helping neighbors transition into fall.
If you’re looking for ideas on how to use Nextdoor’s business solutions to stay connected with nearby customers and get more eyes on your business, check out our free September marketing guide, below.
September Local Marketing Guide for Small Businesses
Labor Day - September 5, 2022
As a small business owner, Labor Day is a great time to get your products or services in front of neighbors. In fact, online Labor Day sales reached $2.6 billion in 2020, a 12% increase from 2019. Take advantage of the lift in customer spending and clear out your summer inventory by sharing a Nextdoor Ad. Some ideas include:
• A buy-one-get-one offer of summer related products like swimsuits, pool equipment, or BBQ sets.
• A percentage or dollar amount off seasonal items like summer flowers or items on a seasonal menu.
Find more ideas in our Labor Day marketing guide.
Hispanic/Latinx Heritage Month - begins September 15, 2022
September 15 kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month, a month-long celebration that honors the contributions made by Hispanic and Latinx Americans. From September 15 to October 15, take an opportunity to lift up Hispanic and Latinx-owned businesses. You can:
• Reserve shelf space to feature products from local Hispanic and Latin-owned businesses. Use your Business Posts to let neighbors know about it.
• Partner with nearby businesses on a special offer. You can donate proceeds to organizations that help support the Hispanic and Latino communities.
• If your business is Hispanic or Latinx-owned, use your Business Posts to share your story and how you're celebrating.
First day of fall - September 22, 2022
As summer winds down, neighbors will begin preparing for the new season. But, you don’t have to wait until the official first day of fall to start talking about it.
- Use a Nextdoor Ad to share local knowledge that will help neighbors get their homes ready.
- Use a Business Post to ask neighbors what type of projects they'll be tackling the coming season. Depending on the type of work neighbors are looking for, share your favorite local recommendations.
- If you work in home services, use a Nextdoor Ad to let neighbors know you have helpful information to help them prepare their homes for fall.
National Neighbor Day - September 28, 2022
Nextdoor is the place to connect with your neighbors, and there’s no better time to do so than on National Neighbor Day. As a local small business, your neighbors are some of your most important customers. In fact, 88% of Nextdoor neighbors shop at a local business at least once a week.
For Neighbor Day, share a Nextdoor Ad with a deal exclusively for neighbors to thank them for their continued support.
Claim your free Business Page to get started on Nextdoor. For resources on how to use Nextdoor to stay connected with your local customers, pertinent news affecting businesses, and more, follow us at @nextdoorbusiness on Facebook.