This article was updated on January 6, 2023
Table of contents
- Nextdoor Faves and recommendations
- Getting started with Nextdoor Faves and recommendations
- How to make it easy for neighbors to Fave your business and leave recommendations
- Grow your business with Nextdoor
Nextdoor Faves and recommendations
As a small business at any stage, building a strong local reputation is one of the greatest ways to invest in your future. On Nextdoor there are two easy and free ways to boost your word-of-mouth marketing and showcase the support you have from happy customers.
Every day, neighbors come to Nextdoor to ask for recommendations or advocate for their favorite local businesses. "Fave" is an easy way for neighbors to show their love and support and follow updates from businesses on Nextdoor.
"Fave" is the primary action a neighbor can take on your business page and every Fave you collect is shown on your business page to help build your reputation as a well-loved business. Your Fave count helps you rank higher in search results and is typically a neighbor's first indication that you're a business other locals support and trust.
As you grow your Faves, this becomes a key audience you can post to for free using your unlimited business posts, helping you to nurture your most loyal customer base.
Unlike other platforms, Nextdoor recommendations are from real neighbors in your community. Every neighbor on Nextdoor has gone through a registration process to ensure they live where they say they do. That means you don’t have to worry about fake reviews that could potentially dilute or harm your business’s reputation. If neighbors recommend your business, rest assured that it’s a real recommendation from a real customer.
Beyond that, recommendations play a major role in purchasing decisions. New Nextdoor data shows that:
- 96% of neighbors have seen a business recommendation on Nextdoor
- 78% of Nextdoor neighbors are more likely to trust a small business when it's recommended by a neighbor on Nextdoor.
- 72% have been influenced by a recommendation
- Businesses with just 1 recommendation see 3x more page views and 4x more messages on Nextdoor
Learn more about how Nextdoor neighbors value recommendations in our latest Insights report here.
Getting started with Nextdoor Faves and recommendations
To start making the most of Nextdoor Faves and recommendations you’ll want to first claim your free Business Page if you haven’t already.
NOTE: Faves and Recommendations will be displayed on your Business Page. Your Faves count appears next to your business name everywhere you show up on Nextdoor. Written recommendations do not increase your Fave count.
Sharing your business page and requesting Faves and recommendations
Under the “Page” tab you’ll find your unique page link. This is the quickest and easiest way to share your Business Page and make it easy for customers to Fave and recommend you. You can share this link anywhere, including in your own digital marketing (more on this later).
Once someone clicks on this unique link, they’ll be prompted to either sign in or create a free Nextdoor account. From there, they can Fave your business and leave you a recommendation.
TIP: Prioritize responding to your recommendations from the "Page" tab. When someone leaves you a recommendation, take a moment to thank them for their kind words and support. When you respond to your customers (for the good and bad) you foster the relationship they have with you and your business, which ultimately can build trust and encourage repeat business and word-of-mouth referrals.
Where your Faves count and recommendations appear within Nextdoor
Your Faves count appears everywhere your business appears on Nextdoor including in search results, on Discover, on your business posts, on your ads, and in the preview card when your business is @ mentioned by a neighbor. Recommendations are showcased on your business page and in the main Nextdoor newsfeed to help you get discovered by new neighbors.
How to make it easy for customers to Fave your business and leave recommendations
So how do you go about getting Faves and recommendations? Sure, you can let them come naturally. Or you can take a more proactive approach to gather them. Remember, more is better so your business can be easily discoverable and attract new customers.
We’ve put together a list of different ways you can ask for Faves and recommendations and provided free downloadable resources that will make it easier to gather recommendations for your business.
Nextdoor Business Posts
Whether you’re a new or established business, it’s nice to every once in a while give nearby customers a refresher on who you are. An easy way to do this is with Nextdoor Business Posts - a free tool you receive when you claim and verify your Business Page. Share a few things about your business and how much you appreciate the support of the community, then make the ask. Include your unique recommendation link to make it easy for neighbors.
Example of what to write in your Business Post:
We’re < Business Name > and we’ve been in the neighborhood for
< # > years. We specialize in < list what you offer, your services you provide, etc. >.
We’re so grateful for the support of our community and are always looking for ways to better serve you. If you’ve
< shopped/dined/used our services/supported us… choose what best fits your business > in the past, we’d love to know your thoughts. Please consider leaving us a recommendation by clicking on this link < Insert the unique link to recommend your Business Page >.
Your thoughts go a long way. Thank you!
Nextdoor Neighborhood Favorites
Every year, we give neighbors the opportunity to celebrate their favorite local businesses by voting for their Neighborhood Favorites. If your business is voted as a Neighborhood Favorite, not only does it boost your business’s visibility to neighbors on Nextdoor, but it also increases your credibility. Your business will also be marked with a trophy icon that shows up everywhere your business appears on Nextdoor.
Social media marketing tools that you may already be using are also good places to reach people who may already support your business. If they chose to follow your account, chances are they already think positively about your business and could be inclined to make a purchase or use your services if they live nearby.
Use social media to share existing recommendations and encourage customers to leave new ones.
Tips for sharing and collecting recommendations through social media
- “Warm-up” your follower base by first sharing a few of your business’s existing reviews. This will help ease your followers into the idea of giving you a recommendation when you ask.
- By mixing recommendations into your social media content strategy, you’re providing useful information that goes beyond making a sale. This helps with building a positive relationship with your followers.
- Include your unique Nextdoor Business Page link in your social media posts to make it easy for your followers to Fave your page and leave recommendations.
Example of how to ask for a recommendation on social media:
Thank you for supporting @ <Business social media handle>! Please continue your support by leaving us a recommendation on our @nextdoor page. We’d love to hear from you.
<insert unique Business Page link>
We’ve created free images you can use to accompany this post on social media.
*Click the download button, then right-click to save the image.
If your business uses email marketing, this is another channel for you to make the ask for Faves and recommendations. Similar to your social media followers, if a person is subscribed to your emails, chances are they already support your business and don’t mind hearing from you. But keep in mind, when a customer opts-in to receive your emails, they’re inviting you into the sacred space that is their inbox. You’ll want to be mindful of your messaging when it comes to asking for Faves and recommendations.
Tips for collecting Faves and recommendations through email marketing
- If you have an online storefront, set an automated email to go out to customers after their order has been delivered and they’ve had enough time to use your products. This could be anywhere from 7-30 days after the purchase.
- If you aren’t online, ask customers after they’ve made a purchase in-store if they’d like to be included in your business’s email list. From there, you can follow up with an email encouraging them to Fave your page and leave a recommendation.
- If your business regularly sends out newsletters, you can include the unique link to your Nextdoor Business Page within the body of the email with a quick line asking them to Fave your page and leave a recommendation.
- Alternatively, you can create a dedicated email asking customers for recommendations while highlighting some of your existing ones. If you do choose to send a dedicated email, avoid doing it too often so you don’t come across as “spammy.” Throughout the year, there are good opportunities to send a dedicated email. Consider scheduling one around Small Business Saturday in November, the holiday season, or your business’s “birthday.”
Example of how to ask for a recommendation through email:
Dear < Customer Name >,
Thank you for visiting us at < Business Name >. We appreciate your support!
If you had a positive experience with us, we'd love it if you'd consider leaving us a recommendation on Nextdoor. You can do so using our unique link here: < Add your unique Nextdoor Business Page recommendation link >.
Recommendations mean the world to a local business like ours. Thank you!
< Business Name >
We’ve created this free banner you can use to accompany your email.
Your business website
Your website is another opportunity to let people know you have a presence on Nextdoor. We've created a free website banner for you to download and place wherever you see fit on your site. Make sure to hyperlink it with your unique Nextdoor Business Page to make it easy for people to visit and Fave your page and leave a recommendation.
Hanging signage at the entrance and check-out station of your storefront is a great way to remind customers of your presence on Nextdoor and to encourage them to leave a recommendation.
We've created a free poster for you to download and hang up around your business.
Grow your business with Nextdoor
At the end of the day, growing your Faves and getting recommendations from loyal customers helps get the word out about your local business to prospective customers and is a cost-efficient means to market yourself. Take advantage of the opportunity to establish your reputation among nearby customers and get started by claiming your free Business Page on Nextdoor.